A WINE ODYSSEY BY PRIVATE JET - AN AFR READER JOURNEY
A journey overview
- King Island
- Adelaide Hills
- Margaret River
- Barossa Valley
8 Days By Private Jet
Discover Australia’s finest wines by private business class jet on an exclusive Australian Financial Review Reader Journey. The itinerary has been hand-crafted by the AFR’s wine writer, Max Allen, who has used his extensive contacts to curate the ultimate Australian wine journey. Travelling in a small group of 35 guests you will visit vineyards and cellars not usually open to the public and share rare bottles from the winemakers' own cellars.
CURATED AND HOSTED BY MAX ALLEN
Our journey will be hosted by Max Allen, Australia’s pre-eminent wine journalist and author. Max, a winner of numerous international writing awards, including Wine Communicator of the Year, has organised a bespoke itinerary of tastings and visits with key winemakers across the country.
Our itinerary is unique, unable to be replicated by an independent traveller. We travel between Australia’s finest wine and culinary destinations with ease and in supreme business-class comfort. And if you want to bring home some wine, we have plenty of room in our aircraft’s luggage hold.
EXCLUSIVE WINE EXPERIENCES
We savour exclusive tastings hosted by the winemakers – in some cases, at vineyards not open to the public, including Cloudburst in Margaret River – and meet the creators of some of Australia’s finest wines in intimate settings.
Images: Wine Australia
GRANGE TASTING AT PENFOLDS MAGILL ESTATE
At the iconic Penfolds Magill Estate be treated to a Grange tasting spanning numerous vintages. This will mark the 71st anniversary for both Penfolds Grange and AFR. To toast the occasion, we will also have AFR’s Editor-in-Chief Michael Stutchbury and Travel Editor Fiona Carruthers join us.
Images: Wine Australia
SUNDOWNERS WITH THE LOCALS
We have an exclusive opportunity to mingle with some of Margaret River’s up-and-coming winemakers. At an informal late afternoon gathering, we can talk all things wine with the emerging custodians of the Margaret River region’s wine future.
Images: Wine Australia
EXPLORE RUTHERGLEN’S RICHES
Visit the historic and charming wineries of Rutherglen, in north-east Victoria. Savour a tasting of Mount Ophir Estate’s renowned shiraz, then head to nearby All Saints Estate for an inspired lunch, served with some of the Brown family’s finest wines.
Image: Ewen Bell, Wine Australia
MACq 01, Hobart
This is Hobart’s trendiest address. Set on the waterfront in a former shipping shed, expansive glass walls open to a wooden deck, extravagant breakfasts feature oysters and Huon Valley lamb, and slick rooms include nods to Tasmania’s history.
Image: Adam Gibson
Cape Lodge, Margaret River
This delightful country-style lodge features expansive lawns and a private lake, and proves to be an idyllic retreat in the Margaret River region. Rooms feature views of either the lodge’s picturesque gardens or its tranquil lake.
Kingsford The Barossa
Dating to 1856 and set on 90 hectares of rolling hills on the edge of the Barossa Valley, Kingsford has just undergone a multi-million dollar upgrade, and is now one of Australia’s finest luxury properties.
Lanzerac Country Estate, Barossa Valley
Five luxurious suites overlooking the Barossa Ranges are at the heart of this charming retreat. The grounds include 90-year-old shiraz and Pedro Ximenez grapevines, and its neighbours are among the Barossa’s most famous vineyards.
Hosted by AFR wine writer Max Allen
Tour Manager - Richard Moras
Tour Doctor - Dr Ralph Levin
Sydney, King Island, Hobart
Hosted & Curated by AFR wine writer Max Allen
As Your Tour Manager, Richard Moras Welcomes You On This Journey
Your Accompanying Tour Doctor For This Journey Is Dr Ralph Levin
At Sydney Airport, be welcomed by Tour Manager Richard, Tour Doctor Ralph, and AFR wine writer Max Allen, before boarding our privately chartered, business-class jet. No trip to this culinary paradise is complete without a visit to King Island Dairy, where we meet one of the cheesemakers for a tasting. Continue on to Currie Wharf to learn about the region’s important fishing industry before taking a short walk to the King Island Cultural Centre to share this community’s authentic stories. After learning about kelp harvesting, we arrive at Wild Harvest restaurant for the ‘Grazing Trail of King Island’ degustation lunch, perfectly paired with wines. Among them, rare back vintages of Tasmania’s award-winning Arras sparkling wine. After landing in Hobart, we transfer to the luxurious MACq 01 Hotel, our sophisticated home for the next two evenings. Settle into the trendy Tasmanian capital with a leisurely dinner at the MACq 01 Old Wharf Restaurant, boasting breathtaking harbour views.
Spend your day in one of two ways with a Your World experience:
- Start with an exclusive tasting at Glaetzer-Dixon Family Winemakers, hosted by Nick Glaetzer, winner of the prestigious Jimmy Watson Trophy. This is followed by a drive to picturesque Stefano Lubiana Wines for a tasting and lunch hosted by Steve Lubiana.
- Discover Hobart on foot, hearing fascinating tales of how this waterfront settlement was transformed into a vibrant capital city. Step back in time as you explore its heritage-listed buildings, and enjoy anecdotes of hardened characters and the influences that forever changed Hobart. Your morning concludes with a visit to the Mawson’s Hut Replica Museum before lunch and a free afternoon.
Hobart, Adelaide, Margaret River
Revisit the ease of private jet travel today. We stop briefly in Adelaide, enjoying lunch at a leading local winery, the region’s lush hills providing a relaxing backdrop. Returning to our private jet, our travels take us across the Great Australian Bight to Busselton, in the stunning Western Australian region of Margaret River. From here, we make our way to Cape Lodge, an idyllic private country-style lodge set in the heart of wine country. For the next three nights, this stylish residence will be our home. We settle in with a gourmet dinner, accompanied by a fine selection of Margaret River wines.
Select from the following Your World experiences, which provide a glimpse into this renowned gourmet region:
- Partake of a kitchen garden and vineyard tour, where you’ll be treated to a tasting and lunch at Cullen Wines with award-winning winemaker Vanya Cullen. Later in the afternoon, Cloudburst Wines owner Will Berliner will host an exclusive tasting at his boutique vineyard.
- Travel to the mouth of Margaret River and the natural wonder of Lake Cave. Stroll between the towering trees of Boranup Forest and visit the Boranup Gallery before continuing on to Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse, Australia’s tallest, with a climb to the top for panoramic views. Return to Cape Lodge for lunch and a free afternoon.
End the day with a decision of the delectable kind, dining at Cape Lodge or savouring a sushi dinner at Miki’s Open Kitchen.
Today, set out on a Your World experience to further explore Margaret River:
- Relish a regional chardonnay and cabernet tasting, as well as lunch at Vasse Felix with Virginia Willcock and other leading Margaret River winemakers.
- Tour Margaret River’s northern wonders. At Cape Naturaliste’s lighthouse precinct, visit the new observation deck overlooking the rugged coastline. From there, you’ll go on a guided scenic walk to Sugarloaf Rock. Enjoy a stunning drive along the breathtaking shoreline through Eagle Bay and Meelup Beach to Dunsborough. There you’ll stop for lunch at a local restaurant before returning to Cape Lodge for a free afternoon.
Later, all guests will join a group of up-and-coming winemakers for ‘Sundowners with the Locals’. This informal and authentic gathering provides the opportunity to relax and mingle with the region’s exciting next generation. Soak in the atmosphere, sharing a casual barbeque dinner as the sun sets over the picturesque western landscape.
Margaret River, Barossa Valley
Board our jet in Busselton for a spot of lunch as you fly to Adelaide en route to the Barossa Valley. From there, we’re taken to Penfolds Magill Estate to meet with a winemaker. A Grange tasting of several vintages will mark the 71st anniversary for both Penfolds Grange and AFR. To toast the occasion, we will also have AFR’s Editor-in-Chief Michael Stutchbury and Travel Editor Fiona Carruthers join us. Later, we transfer to either the Lanzerac Country Estate or Kingsford The Barossa for a luxurious two-night stay, feasting on a multi-course dinner, perfectly paired with Barossa wines.
Enjoy your morning in the Barossa with a choice of Your World experiences:
- Visit Yalumba winery for a private underground tasting with owner Robert Hill-Smith.
- Explore the Barossa Valley on a tour encompassing the Eden Valley, known as the Garden of Grapes and Gums; Kapunda, which is one of the oldest copper mining towns in Australia, and a lavender farm, where we’ll learn about the lavender farming process.
Guests will come together for a special Legends of the Barossa luncheon at Fino at Seppeltsfield, before savouring a special Taste Your Birth Year experience. We join our hosts in the Centennial Cellar, where we stand before the longest lineage of single vintage wines in the world. Here, you will enjoy tasting Para Vintage Tawny from the year of your birth. Following a behind-the-scenes tour of the Centennial Cellar, the historic winery and the sherry cellar, we share yet another exquisite dinner.
Albury, Rutherglen, Sydney
A wonderful final day awaits as you depart Adelaide Airport en route to Albury. Take in the countryside on a short drive to the charming Victorian town of Rutherglen, where we indulge in a tasting of wines from the Brown family cellar at Mount Ophir Estate. Afterwards, we share one final lunch together at nearby All Saints Estate. Later, return to Albury for our final business-class flight to Sydney, where our journey comes to an end.