Terms & Conditions
BEFORE YOU BOOK
Prices – Deposits – Discounts – Payments
Your booking price will be set out in this brochure unless it is varied by advertising or a special offer, or is changed after the publication date for any reason, including without limitation, to cover changes in government taxes and charges, exchange rate variations, fuel surcharges, airline charges, a force majeure event or other material increases by suppliers. A $5,000 security deposit per person, per holiday package, is required at the time of the booking. Deposit requirements may vary when booking a special offer, a higher category suite or cabin and for some single supplement arrangements. Final payment of the balance of your holiday package price is due 120 days prior to the commencement of the tour. Captain’s Choice reserves the right to cancel any ticket, or booking, or to refuse to carry any passenger where payment has not been received by Captain’s Choice within the specified time. All fares and charges are in Australian currency. Payment in full is required at time of booking for reservations made less than 120 days before the commencement of the tour. If Captain’s Choice is unable to confirm your reservation, all monies will be refunded.
Included in Holiday Package Price
All travel, travel insurance, accommodation, business class airfares with Emirates (relative to selected departure date and Australian gateway airport), private jet and other transport as per itinerary, gratuities, transfers, sightseeing, specified excursions, meals, admissions, port charges, taxes and the services of a Tour Manager as stated in your itinerary.
Transfers are included on all Captain’s Choice tours, when booking within a radius of 60 driven kilometres from the nearest domestic or international airport. For journeys over 60 kilometres there will be an additional charge per car per kilometre. Should the selected airline offer home to airport transfers, these will be utilised subject to airlines terms and conditions. No refund will be given for unused transfers. Passengers who miss the pre-booked transfers must make their own way to/from the airport at their own expense. This service is only available for departures from mainland Australia.
Not Included in Tour Price
Passport and visa charges, vaccinations and suggested on-tour medications, items of a purely personal nature (laundry bills, bar bills, phone calls, etc), expenses incurred for items purchased away from group tour (meals, tours, transport, etc), excess luggage, insurance for extensions to travel dates/pre-existing medical conditions/age loading fees, plus any other items not mentioned in this brochure. Your World experiences are included unless otherwise indicated but may be limited by capacity. Wine, beer and soft drink are included at lunch and dinner; drinks at other times are at additional expense.
Have been included for all services as indicated in the itinerary and cannot be redeemed for a cash refund.
Twin or Double Rooms
Accommodation in hotels, regardless of rating, is in standard rooms (sometimes named superior/ deluxe) based on twins or doubles unless otherwise stated.
A limited number of single rooms/suites/ cabins may be available by request at the time of booking your holiday package. We will guarantee to arrange for single travellers to share a room in hotels only to avoid incurring additional costs. We may accommodate a smoker and a non-smoker together, in this instance the room provided will be a non-smoking room. If preferred, a single room supplement price is offered if you wish to have single room occupancy.
Passengers Needing Special Assistance
Captain’s Choice welcomes passengers with disabilities or special needs however, please note the following:
1. Any disability or medical condition requiring special attention must be reported to Captain’s Choice at the time of booking including all important information relating to your health, mobility and fitness which may affect your partial or total participation in the cruise or tour. This information is also crucial to allow Captain’s Choice to ensure the tour you have chosen is suitable and meets your needs. Any changes to health, mobility and fitness must also be reported to Captain’s Choice as soon as possible and prior to departure. Where possible Captain’s Choice will make reasonable adjustments to the tour to accommodate your special needs however, it cannot do so if the adjustment required would be unreasonable in all of the circumstances, including if such adjustments would affect your safety and/or the safety and/or enjoyment of other passengers.
2. If you require special assistance or care (such as pushing a wheelchair, assistance with dressing or assistance with walking), you must travel with a companion capable of providing the required assistance or care. Please be aware that Captain’s Choice does not provide personal assistance. Captain’s Choice is unable to assist any passenger with walking, dining, boarding or disembarking any transportation vehicles (including river and ocean cruise ships and trains). To safely participate in embarkation and disembarkation you must be able to do so without the need for special assistance. You must also be able to do so without unreasonably impacting other passengers’ safety and/or enjoyment.
3. While Captain’s Choice will make reasonable efforts to accommodate the special needs of disabled passengers, it is not responsible for any denial of services by any third party entities it has travel arrangements with, such as carriers, hotels, trains, restaurants or other independent suppliers, or for any additional associated expenses charges by those parties.
4. Please note coaches and minibuses are not equipped with wheelchair ramps. Most river and ocean ships have elevators, however not all Captain’s Choice ships have elevators. Many ships require the use of stairs to go between decks. Further, side by side docking may require passengers to climb and descent stairs to cross over vessels to disembark and embark at times. Captain’s Choice ships often sail through remote areas that do not have convenient docking facilities. In such circumstances it will be necessary for passengers to negotiate temporary gangplanks and uneven surfaces. If the crew decide that it is not safe for a passenger to negotiate such operations they may require passengers to stay on board. Cabin doors and restrooms may not be wide enough to allow access by standard wheelchairs. Wheelchairs and walkers cannot be carried on coaches, due to space limitations. For safety reasons, passengers in wheelchairs cannot be carried on ramps in ports where the river or ocean cruise ship is at anchor.
Health & Fitness
A good level of fitness and health is required to participate on a Captain’s Choice holiday. In some destinations there are extensive sightseeing excursions by foot, which can include climbing of stairs and walking on uneven surfaces. Mobility is needed boarding or alighting coaches, cruise ships and trains. We recommend a visit to the doctor and dentist before travelling to overseas destinations. It is your responsibility to advise Captain’s Choice of any pre-existing medical conditions that may affect the normal conduct of a holiday package and the enjoyment of other passengers. A doctor will travel with the group for the duration of the tour. A doctor may or may not accompany Your World experiences. The doctor is an independent registered medical practitioner who is available to provide immediate but limited medical attention to tour guests should the need arise. The doctor carries his or her own independent professional indemnity insurance and carries a limited amount of medical supplies. Captain’s Choice Pty Ltd is not responsible or liable for any advice or treatment that may be provided by the doctor, or any failure on the part of the doctor to fully diagnose or treat any medical injury or condition which may arise or be identified during the course of the tour. Due to exclusions in professional indemnity insurance, Australian doctors are unable to provide medical services whist travelling in the United States or its territorial waters. In lieu, the Tour Doctor will assist in arranging local medical services during this time. You are responsible for all charges that result from visiting a medical facility, or for a medical practitioner, other than the Tour Doctor visiting you. Captain’s Choice is not responsible for the type or quality of the medical services you may receive. A Health & Mobility Statement is available.
Visa & Passports
All passengers must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the holiday package return date. Passengers are solely responsible for meeting necessary passport requirements and paying all associated costs. Details of visa requirements and applicable application forms will be sent to you by Captain’s Choice approximately 16 weeks prior to departure. Captain’s Choice will lodge your applications and endeavour to obtain the required visas on your behalf (at an additional cost).
The timing of the excursions on all holiday packages may differ slightly for each package. The published times are a guide only, and are subject to change without notice. It is impossible for large coaches to be used for some city sightseeing excursions and many towns and cities will be visited by way of walking tours. Clients must be able to climb ramps to embark or disembark cruise ships. Depending on water levels, these may have a number of steep steps. Holiday packages may include time in high altitude regions.
Your World Experiences
Minimum and maximum group numbers may apply on some Your World experiences. If your first choice of option is unavailable you may be asked to choose an alternative.
Public Holidays & Festivals
Virtually all countries have public holidays, religious or otherwise. The festivities may temporarily disrupt your holiday and some religious holidays may result in a reduction
of facilities and entertainment.
Late Bookings & Special Offers
Late booking promotions and special offers do not apply to existing bookings unless otherwise stated.
BOOKING & PAYING FOR YOUR HOLIDAY
Travel Insurance The price of your package includes travel insurance underwritten by Dual Australia Pty Ltd ACN 107 553 257, AFS license No 280193 on behalf of underwriters at Lloyds. Travel insurance is provided for guests up to and including 85 years of age, subject to meeting the requirements of the insurer, and is valid for 35 days. Any information provided in this brochure is general and does not consider your objectives, financial situation or needs. A summary of the travel insurance will be sent to you. The Product Disclosure Statement is available from our insurance brokers, MCA Insurance Brokers, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose to make alternative arrangements the tour price will be reduced by the amount of the policy. You are required to advise Captain’s Choice of your alternate insurance arrangements prior to making your payment. Certain pre-existing conditions are not covered under this policy. For details in relation to these exclusions please enquire for details.
Travel Information & Documents
After booking, you will receive an invoice with all important information relevant to your holiday package. We strongly recommend you check the details carefully and read the included information. Tickets, final itineraries, detailed travel information and a list of passenger names and suburb of residence will be forwarded to you approximately two weeks prior to departure. If you do not wish your name to appear on the passenger list, please advise your Guest Relations Consultant at the time of booking.
Where a special request (eg diet, room location, twin or double bedded room, a particular facility at a hotel, flight seat requests and/or particular meals) is an important factor in your choice of holiday, you must advise us when your booking is made. The provision of any special request does not constitute a term of your contract with us. Confirmation that a special request has been noted, passed on to the supplier, confirmed on your invoice or any other documentation, is not confirmation that the request will, or can, be met. Unless and until specifically confirmed, all special requests are subject to availability.
Credit Card Surcharges
If you pay your final balance by credit card, credit card surcharges of between 1% and 3% will be added to your remaining tour price.
Use AMEX Points to Pay
You can use your AMEX Membership Reward Points to pay for part or all of your tour. You can even use points to pay for your deposit. $100 of travel = 10,000 points.
IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE OR CANCEL YOUR HOLIDAY
Changes or Additions to Your Holiday If you want to change any part of your holiday arrangements after the invoice has been issued, we will do our best to make the change but it may not be possible. If it is possible to make the change, it will be subject to an administration charge and payment of any further costs incurred as a result of the change.
For holiday packages within this brochure, the following Captain’s Choice cancellation fees apply:
Days of Notice Fee Per Person
120 days or more - Loss of deposit
Less than 120 days - 100% of holiday package price
All cancellations must be received in writing by Captain’s Choice and are not effective until this notification has been received. If your holiday has commenced, 100% of the full holiday package price is charged. There is no refund for unused services, or if portions of the holiday package are missed.
Additional cancellation fees may also be charged in respect of accommodation reserved outside the holiday package dates. These cancellation fees are in addition to any fees that may be levied by Captain’s Choice.
IF WE CHANGE OR CANCEL YOUR HOLIDAY
Captain’s Choice endeavours to provide you with all the services confirmed to you at the time of your booking. However, we plan arrangements a long time in advance of your departure date using independent suppliers such as airlines, hotels etc, over whom we have no direct control. On occasions changes do have to be made, Captain’s Choice reserves the right to cancel or amend holiday packages/excursions accordingly. All tours require a minimum number of bookings in order to be financially viable and to have a pleasant group atmosphere. In the event adequate numbers cannot be achieved, it may be necessary to cancel a scheduled departure and offer an alternative tour (or a refund of the monies paid for arrangements made by Captain’s Choice).
Captain’s Choice has endeavoured to ensure that the information given in this brochure about accommodation, itineraries etc, is correct at the time of going to print. However, advertised descriptions, facilities and prices may change after publication. We recommend that you confirm the details of your chosen holiday package at the time of booking. Additionally, flight times, carriers and routes in the brochure are given for guidance only as there may be changes. Final details will be shown on your tickets. Holiday package or excursion itineraries may change or be different from those described in the brochure as a result of local conditions, weather conditions and annual events. Captain’s Choice will endeavour to notify you of any significant changes prior to your departure.
The flight timings shown in our brochure, on our website and detailed on your confirmation invoice are for guidance only, and are subject to alteration and confirmation. Flight timings are set by airlines and could be affected by events outside our control. Scheduled and charter flight timings and days of operation are also subject to change. Captain’s Choice will advise you of any significant changes as soon as it is informed by the airline. Minor timing changes will be shown on your flight tickets. Any change in the identity of the airline, flight timings or aircraft type (if advised) will not entitle you to cancel or change to other arrangements without paying any applicable cancellation fees, except where specified in these booking conditions.
Force Majeure means the occurrence of an event that is beyond Captain’s Choice’s reasonable control and which could not have been reasonably prevented by Captain’s Choice, which includes, but is not limited to: (a) war, armed conflict, criminal damage, riot, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activity or the threat of any such acts; (b) natural disaster (including but not limited to flooding, fire, earthquake, landslide), adverse weather conditions, high or low water levels; (c) nuclear or other industrial accident causing environmental pollution or contamination; or (d) change in law, meaning, enactment, amendment (including repeal) in the law or administration of any law in Australia or any jurisdiction or territory relevant to the booking contract, which includes changes in statute, regulation, determination, bylaw, declaration, licence and the common law as applicable from time to time.
Termination of Booking Contract or Change of Travel Arrangements Due to Force Majeure
If Captain’s Choice, in its reasonable opinion, considers that any Force Majeure event prevents Captain’s Choice (whether directly or through its employees, contractors, subcontractors and agents) from lawfully or safely providing any products or services subject of the booking contract with you, Captain’s Choice may immediately by written notice: (a) terminate the booking contract (in whole or in part); or (b) change your travel arrangements as reasonably practicable to ensure your safety and invoice you for any additional costs.
Limitation of Liability in the Event of Force Majeure
In the event of a force majeure event making it impossible or unsafe for Captain’s Choice to deliver all or part of the Holiday Package, Captain’s Choice will refund the customer for the unperformed part of the Holiday Package less any reasonable losses incurred before cancellation. Losses may amount to a substantial proportion of the booking price. Captain’s Choice will use reasonable endeavours to minimise losses incurred by customers.
Customers must take out travel insurance to protect themselves against loss in the circumstances.
ON RETURN FROM YOUR HOLIDAY
Data Protection Policy
Your personal data may be passed on by Captain’s Choice to any relevant independent suppliers, government/public authorities such as customs, immigration and the security services connected with your holiday package. All personal data you give us (including sensitive personal data) will be kept. Credit card details are not retained. We will use only names and contact details for marketing purposes, unless you notify us that you do not wish to receive future marketing material by writing to Captain’s Choice, Level 4, 1230 Nepean Highway, Cheltenham, Victoria 3192, Australia.
Limitation of Liability
1. Our holiday packages include the services of independent providers, such as hoteliers, airlines, cruise companies and other operators, who are not agents, servants or employees of Captain’s Choice. Although we take care in selecting the independent service providers, and the optional excursions conducted by some independent service providers, Captain’s Choice is not responsible for the conduct of the independent service providers, their servants and agents or for any ramifications of that conduct. Optional excursions may, depending on your holiday package, include activities such as climbing, exploring, bike riding, swimming and snorkelling. You accept and assume the risk involved with these activities.
2. If, in the opinion of any representative of Captain’s Choice, your mental or physical condition is such as to affect your own health and safety, render you incapable to care for yourself, cause you to became a hazard to yourself or other passengers, or result in you becoming objectionable to other passengers or staff, you will not be permitted to embark or continue on the whole or any part of the holiday package. Captain’s Choice is not liable to you for any costs associated with such decision and you will not be refunded for any part of the holiday package.
3. Captain’s Choice accepts no responsibility for any death, injury, illness, loss (including loss of enjoyment), damage, detention or delay (including mechanical breakdown) beyond its control.
4. Any term, condition or warranty express or implied by statute or otherwise in respect of the holiday packages contained in this brochure are excluded to the full extent permitted by law. Nothing in these booking conditions excludes, restricts or modifies the application of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) as amended, consolidated, supplemented or replaced.
5. To the full extent permitted by law, Captain’s Choice’s liability arising under or in connection with these booking conditions:
(a) is limited to the resupply of the products or services or the payment of the cost of resupply of the products or services to you; and
(b) excludes liability for any indirect or consequential losses suffered by you or any third party, howsoever caused, including but not limited to pure economic loss or any special, extraordinary or punitive damage to you or any other party.
6. Your travel agent will forward deposits and other payments to us on your behalf, but your travel agent is not our agent for the purpose of receipt of monies. Receipt of deposits and subsequent payments by the travel agent does not constitute receipt of those monies by us and the travel agent has no authority expressed or implied to receive monies on our behalf. There is no liability on the part of Captain’s Choice in respect to any monies paid to your travel agent, unless and until Captain’s Choice notifies you (by way of a booking confirmation advice or payment receipt advice) that monies have been received by Captain’s Choice. Captain’s Choice reserves the right to cancel any ticket or booking or refuse to carry any passenger where payment has not been received by Captain’s Choice within the specified time.
Responsible Service of Alcohol
Where staff are responsible for service of alcohol, they are obligated by law to refuse service to any guest who, in their reasonable opinion, appears to be or is intoxicated, or behaves in an aggressive or offensive manner.
Captain's Club Details
Club Details, including the range of benefits, are available on our website at: www.captainschoice.com.au
For other passengers’ comfort there is no smoking on coaches or cruise ships, except in designated areas. All sectors of trains, buses and confined areas are non-smoking. Most flights are now non-smoking in accordance with international agreements.
If a problem occurs during your holiday you should, in your own interests, advise your Tour Manager so that steps can be taken to resolve the matter. If you remain dissatisfied, any complaint must be made in writing to Captain’s Choice within 30 days.
Each airline has policies relating to luggage limits and category of seat. Additional charges may apply for excess luggage.
Photo & Video
Photographs or videos of the tour may be taken, which may be used for promotional purposes. Completion of your registration/ booking form and acceptance of documents indicates your acceptance and release for this material to be used for promotional or resale purposes.
Map & Images Within Captain’s Choice may not be to scale. Some images are copyright, and have been reproduced with permission.
Captain’s Choice is proud to hold the ATAS accreditation. The AFTA Travel Accreditation Scheme (ATAS) is an industry accreditation scheme that sets the benchmark of quality for the travel industry.
CAPTAIN’S CHOICE COLLECTION
Captain’s Choice offers a number of unique travel experiences. Visit captainschoice.com.au for more details or to download a brochure.
Reservations may be made with:
Captain’s Choice, Level 4, 1230 Nepean Highway,
Cheltenham, Victoria 3192, Australia.
Telephone: 61 3 8526 2300. Fax: 61 3 8526 2351.
Call: 1300 340 262 within Australia.
Captain’s Choice Pty Ltd
ABN 82 063 895 876. ATAS accreditation #A11188